Drink of the week: Apple-brandy hot toddies

Apple-brandy hot toddies are the perfect fall drink for all occasions, from a late night watching spooky movies to an early morning football tailgate. (Megan Krementowski/The Daily Campus)

As the nights get colder and the days get shorter, spending a night in with friends, Halloween movies and drinks might sound more and more appealing. This week’s drink of the week was inspired by this ~aesthetic~. Apple-brandy hot toddies are quick and easy to make and can warm you up on a cold night. They also happen to make the perfect tailgating drink if you prefer to get an early start with your drinking. For our underage readers, substitute brandy with apple cider for a less exciting, but equally warming, drink.

Ingredients include:

• one-and-a-half cups of water
  • two tablespoons plus two teaspoons of honey
  • one-half of a cup of fresh lemon juice
  • two cups of apple brandy (Laird’s Applejack Brandy is around $16 at your local liquor store)
  • cinnamon sticks
  • apple slices

Pour the water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, then add the two tablespoons plus two teaspoons of honey. Stir in the one-half cup of lemon juice and two cups of brandy. Set cinnamon sticks into heatproof glasses, pour in the mixture, then serve. Add apple slices as a garnish and for additional flavor. If the drink is too strong for your taste, add more honey. This recipe serves eight. (inspired by foodandwine.com)

Megan Krementowski is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.