USG inaugurates 32 new members and loses a VIP

About 60 USG representatives attended the meeting on Wednesday night in which 32 new members were inaugurated. (Junbo Huang/The Daily Campus)

The Undergraduate Student Government inaugurated 32 new senators at Wednesday night’s meeting.

Chief Justice Andrew Stern swore in the new senators after president Daniel Byrd announced that USG advisor, Becca Herman, was leaving after serving leading USG for over six years.

Byrd also chose Samuel Surowitz as Veterans’ Oasis ex-officio senator during the meeting.

USG comptroller Rishida Jani presented the budget breakdown by committee for the year.

“In fall 2015, each committee had asked for more than what they’re asking for this semester,” Jani said. “So, compared to one year ago this is a significantly less budget.”

Last year a deficit was factored into the budget even though USG did not spend the full amount allotted.

“We always budget on the high end because we want to make sure that we have enough money,” Jani said. “ We never end up spending close to what we budget.”

The Funding Board is the only organization that has received more money this year, because it gives money back to student groups and is a good thing that it is increased, she said.

Requests from student groups have been around $1,000,000, which is down from the usual $1.4 million, Jani said.

The budget was passed unanimously, with only one abstention.

Byrd had told the new senators about the five seats that are given, with only four seats available, to USG senators on the University Senate. He went on to tell senators that there are more than 10 committees and urged whoever was interested to apply to be on any of them.

“It is vital that we have two students on each of those committees,” Byrd said.

After Byrd gave the president’s report, vice president Irma Valverde welcomed all new senators.

During the external affairs report, Haley Hinton, told the senators that there is no new business, and that they are expecting more budget cuts at the capital and are planning on bringing students to testify, as they did last year.

Alyssa Crooks reported that USG is planning a food event on campus called Taste of UConn, and is reaching out to cultural centers and associations for this event.

Before the meeting was adjourned, parliamentarian Stephanie Goebel requested that a moment of silence be held for Sean L. Sullivan, a UConn student who passed away on Monday.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando