Niall Horan, One Direction bandmates head in different directions

One Direction perfoms at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2013, on the Take Me Home Tour in Glasgow, Scotland.  (Fiona McKinlay/JuanDirection/Wikipedia Commons)

On Sept. 29, Niall Horan released his solo single, “This Town.” A member of the One Direction, Horan surprised fans worldwide with this single almost a year after the boyband went on hiatus last November.

Horan signed a deal with Capitol Records USA, signaling the start of a new solo career. In a statement, he conveyed his enthusiasm for moving to a new stage in his musical profession and his gratitude to fans.

“Thank you to all the One Direction fans for your love and support as always,” said Horan. “I’m looking forward to the next part of this journey together.”

Fans are saddened by the divergence of One Direction, especially the ones who stuck by the band or were inspired by their music. For five years since their formation on The X Factor in 2010, they have produced five albums. Their last televised performance before hiatus was Dec. 31, 2015.

“I’ll always love One Direction and I was upset when I found out they were parting ways,” said Katelyn Donahue, a first semester student, “but I’m excited to see what each one of the guys will do for solo projects.”

Bandmates Liam Payne and Harry Styles have also progressed on with their lives. The two signed solo contracts with Capitol Records and Columbia Records, respectively, but Horan commented that they will stay in contact. A band reunion is a possibility.

“Everyone’s kind of doing their own things,” said Horan. “I still talk to them all the time, but I definitely wouldn’t rule it out.”

Horan as a solo artist is still a new concept, but he is sure to gain much more attention and appreciation.

“As for Niall, he was my favorite out of the band so I was most excited to hear him as a solo artist and I love his new song,” said Donahue. “I liked being able to really hear his own style of music, rather than him being a part of One Direction’s style of music.”

With One Direction having accomplished so much since their initial contract deal, it appears as though they are heading towards a conclusion. Each band member is headed in his own direction and moving on in his life.

Kevin Li is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at