Water in Hilltop Apartments safe to drink again

Students in Hilltop Apartments, pictured above, were notified that their water is safe to drink again after high levels of copper were detected in the Stowe building this week. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Students at the University of Connecticut living in the Stowe Building of Hilltop Apartments were notified that their water was safe to drink again after high levels of copper were detected earlier this week.

“The University is pleased to inform you that water quality testing in the Hilltop #11 Stowe and surrounding facilities has been completed. The samples were tested in a state-certified laboratory, which has confirmed that the water is safe to drink,” according to the notice distributed to residents on Wednesday.

While the exact cause of the copper in the water is still not known, according to Stephanie Reitz, UConn’s Spokesperson, the University is in the process of investigating and determining why there were elevated copper levels in the hot water.

“The University will continue monitoring the water quality in Hilltop #11 Stowe to ensure the elevated levels of copper do not return,” the notice said.

The notice also informed students that they would be able to attend a meeting on Wednesday to voice their questions or concerns about their water.

The Daily Campus previously reported that students living in the Novello Building of Hilltop Apartments had brown water coming out of their faucets one morning a few weeks ago.

The two incidents do not appear to be related.

“The problem [in Novello] occurred when a worker was changing out a plumbing fixture that had failed, and the worker had to leave the job due to medical problem. Usually, changing that piece of equipment would occur seamlessly without a noticeable effect on water, but this was an unusual situation that we were able to quickly resolve,” Reitz said.

Anna Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.