How to spook up your dorm this October

Stella and Eugene hang around Life Editor's apartment and help to spread Halloween spirit. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

Decorating can sometimes be an extremely time consuming and tedious activity. We all know Pinterest looks great, but actually recreating those ideas, well, who has time for that? As college students, we are nearly always busy trying to juggle classes, homework, exams, clubs, jobs and mealtimes. Often, DIY ideas definitely don’t seem quick or easy.

On the other hand, decorating can be super fun. It lets your creativity shine and gives your room a more personalized feel.

Halloween is coming and we have to be ready for it… that is, if the clowns don’t get us first. Here are some simple, affordable and accident-proof ways to embellish your home away from home with a spooky glow.

Dorm room doors are not known for being stylish, but you can change that by picking up supplies at nearby stores. (Angie DeRose/The Daily Campus)

Eerie lighting can be a great way to give any room a creepier feel. To achieve this, simply replace a regular light bulb with one with an orange or purple glow. You can also get fake candles with flickering lights, or string lights in cool shapes such as candy corns, bats or pumpkins. If you don’t want to spend any additional money, the candle freshmen received at convocation works perfectly for this.

A really classic way to make your dorm scream Halloween is with spider webs. There are a wide variety of materials to use, and it doesn’t take long to finish. You can stretch cotton balls to make webbing that hangs delicately off a bed frame, desk, or most furniture items around your room. Cheese cloth makes great spider webs for windows, and is really cheap to buy. If you want to take it up a notch, add some plastic or paper spiders to really give it a completed look.

Embellish your door! There are a ton of way to accomplish this. You can do wreaths, felt pumpkins and even festive whiteboard designs. Another idea is to take construction paper and markers and give the door a face. For example you can make it be a witch, black cat or just a silly-looking monster.

If you’re looking for a more crafty way to adorn your room for Halloween, try lollipop ghosts. All you need is a bag of Tootsie Pops, tissues, ribbon or elastic bands, and a sharpie. Once you have the materials, simply wrap the lollipop in the tissue, and then bind it with ribbon or an elastic right where the stick begins. Then use the sharpie to give your ghost a face, and bunch up the tissue to create folds and make the ghost more realistic.

Cynthia Reinert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at cynthia.reinert@uconn.ed