Women’s Hockey: UConn welcomes Quinnipiac for home opener

Women's hockey opens the season against Quinnipiac this weekend. In this photo from last season, the Huskies play the University of New Hampshire. They won 4-3 in triple overtime on at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum on Saturday, February 27, 2016.(Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

On Friday Oct. 7, the UConn women’s hockey team will welcome Quinnipiac to the Freitas Ice Forum for their home opener. The game begins at 7 p.m.

Last season these two teams met in the Nutmeg Classic with UConn losing 1-0. This loss allowed Quinnipiac to advance to the championship game of the Nutmeg Classic which they won by beating Yale 3-0. What really elevated Quinnipiac in the game against the Huskies was that in total they had 33 shots on goal in total while UConn only had 16. Another setback the Huskies will have to overcome is the loss of their three stars from the game against Quinnipiac last year Nicole Costa, Elaine Chuli and Nicole Connery.

Currently, Quinnipiac matches the Huskies’ 2-0  record with two wins against Maine. They also won an exhibition game against Guelph 6-1. They are ranked No. 3 overall in USA Today/ USA Hockey Magazine Women’s College Hockey Poll and No. 3 overall in the USCHO Division 1 Women’s Poll.

The person to watch for on Quinnipiac is definitely goal tender Sydney Rossman. She boasts such honors as ECAC Hockey Goaltender of the Year (2015-16), ECAC Hockey Player of the Year Finalist (2015-16) and two-time Nutmeg Classic Most Outstanding Goal Tender (2013, 2015).

For the Huskies the player to watch is junior Theresa Knutson, who played in all 37 games last year and led the team in goals (19) and points (28). Also a factor is Leah Lum, who finished third in overall points last year and had 13 assists, the second most of any player. These two players together are a formidable threat.

UConn and Quinnipiac are two evenly matched teams that will meet Friday night at 7 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.