New Regina Spektor album breaks her winning streak

Regina Spektor's seventh studio album has a departure in sound from here previous albums taking on a sadder tone. (sam ford/Flickr Creative Commons)

Regina Spektor released her seventh studio album on Sept. 30 titled “Remember Us to Love,” featuring her usual romantic piano ballads and broad voice.  

The 11-track album comes four years after her last album, “What We Saw from the Cheap Seats.”

Spektor released four singles before the album’s release “Bleeding Heart,” Small Bill$,” “Black and White” and “Older and Taller.” Of the four, “Bleeding Heart” is my favorite. The bouncy techno chorus will get your head bobbing.

The funky “The Trapper and the Furrier” features her amazing storytelling techniques and piano, but also features unsettling strings that create a truly gloomy mood. This might be my new Halloween jam.

Another depressing song, “Obsolete,” is not a good tune to play while you’re working on your midterm essay. “This is how I feel right now / Obsolete manuscript / No one reads and no one needs / Pages lost, incomplete / No one knows what it means.” Those are not the most comfortable words to hear when putting all your energy into writing.

“Tornadoland” has a jazzier feel to it, with strings and percussion. Spektor scats for a few bars towards the end.

Three bonus tracks are available on the deluxe edition “New Year,” “The One Who Stayed and the One Who Left” and “End of Thought.”

None of these songs sound particularly joyful. Her past albums usually had a few poppy hits to balance out the depressing ballads. It doesn’t seem to be the case with this album. “BleedingHeart” sounds like the happiest song on the album, but the lyrics reveal its sad content. The songs tell a cohesive and complete story about the tribulations of life, but I miss the quirkiness and randomness of her old tunes.

I also miss the multicultural aspects she brought into her songs. Spektor emigrated from the Soviet Union when she was 9 years old, and her old songs always had a connection to her European background. In past songs, she sang in Russian, French, Spanish, German and even Latin. This album was all in English.

Bottom line: it’s a pretty album to have on in the background when you’re cleaning the house or walking to class, but it’s not the spunky Regina Spektor I’ve grown fond of.

Rating: B-

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at