Volleyball: Huskies head south to take on SMU and Tulsa

Sophomore Elizabeth Kline (#1) celebrates with teammates. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Huskies women’s volleyball team will be going to SMU and Tulsa this weekend in two important AAC conference road games.

The Huskies (12-3, 3-1 American) are looking to stay undefeated on the road and are coming in with some momentum after winning five of their last six matches. SMU (11-5, 4-0 American) are coming into this weekend red hot on a five game winning streak after beating East Carolina, Cincinnati, Tulane, and Houston. Tulsa (13-3, 2-2 American) is looking to bounce back after a tough loss to Tulane in five sets.

UConn is currently the best offensive team in the AAC. They currently lead the conference in hitting percentage (.270), kills per set (14.98), and assists per set (13.93). Senior Camille Evans was named to the American Honor Roll for the second straight week. Senior Hayley Cmajdalka currently leads the AAC with a .418 hitting percentage and redshirt freshman Kayla Williams ranks fourth in kills with 3.80 per set. While the Huskies are undefeated on the road this season, they are winless all time against both of these teams. They’ve faced both of these teams a combined 11 times and haven’t beaten either of these teams.

On Friday at 8 p.m., the Huskies will face the SMU Tigers who are the defending AAC champions and are looking to repeat as champions. The Tigers have one of the best defenses in the AAC right now. They have the lowest hitting percentage by opponents (.154), kills by opponents (10.59) and assists by opponents (10.35) in the conference right now. Their formidable defense is led by seniors Janelle Giordano and Morgan Heise who lead the conference in blocks (1.24 per set) and digs (5.31 per set), respectively.

On Sunday at 1 p.m., UConn will face the Tulsa Golden Hurricane who has a defense that is very similar to SMU. They are currently second in the conference in kills by opponents (11.63) and assists by opponents (11.00), and are third in the conference in hitting percentage by opponents (.164). The Golden Hurricane also lead the American with 18.46 digs per set, with senior Brooke Berryhill leading the team with 5.18 per set.

The Huskies will come back home next weekend and host UCF on Oct. 14 at 4 p.m.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.