Data shows strength in minors at UConn

The Wilbur Cross Building on the UConn campus in Storrs, Connecticut is home to the Office of the Registrar, through which students register for majors and minors. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

UConn offers nearly 100 minors for enrolled students, allowing students to study academic departments outside of their major. Minors are recorded on the student’s final transcript.

UConn has not dropped minors in any recent years, said university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

Reitz said that occasionally minors are consolidated under a broader set of related studies. The Italian cultural studies minor and the Italian literary studies minors were consolidated this academic year into the Italian cultural and literary studies minor.

Minors are sometimes temporarily halted if necessary, but that is rare and a short-term issue as minors usually return the next semester or year, she said.

For example, if a professor who offers a required course for a minor leaves on sabbatical, the minor must be temporarily suspended for that semester. This may also happen if enrollment was too low to offer a course in a given semester.

Neuroscience is a popular minor offered jointly by the department of psychological sciences and the physiology and neurobiology departments.

John Salamone, the division head and adviser for students interested in neuroscience, said his department has made efforts in past years to accommodate busy students in the minor.

“For neuroscience, one choke point in the system used to be the lab course requirement,” Salamone said. “So, one thing I try to do every year is have enough seats in psychology neuroscience lab classes so that every graduating senior has a chance to finish any lab requirements.  In psychology, we try to offer 90 neuroscience lab seats every academic year for the students who need them.”

Salamone continued to say that the department offers a lab in the summer. Students can take the drugs and behavior lab the summer before their senior year, or the summer after their graduation so they can complete their plan of study. This summer lab was offered the past few years and helps greatly, said Salamone.

Scheduling conflicts for majors can be substituted with other courses. Minors, however, may not be substituted.

Human development and family studies is one of the newest minors offered by UConn.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at