Field Hockey: Fifteen-goal weekend leads No. 1 UConn to 13-0

UConn's Barbara van den Hoogan (#6) controls the ball during UConn's 6-0 win over Villanova on Friday Oct. 7, 2016 at the Sherman Sports Complex. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

No. 1 UConn field hockey won two home games this weekend, improving to 13-0 on the season with wins over Villanova and Dartmouth. The Huskies beat Big East foe Villanova 6-0 on Friday evening, and then defeated Dartmouth 9-2 on Sunday.

In Friday’s game, UConn junior forward Charlotte Veitner and defender Casey Umstead each scored two goals. All six goals in the game were assisted, and the Huskies recorded seven assists as a team including two from senior Darby Smith. UConn outshot Villanova 27-4 in the game.

“Everyone is contributing,” UConn head coach Nancy Stevens said. “Our back line is scoring, our midfield line is scoring and our attack line is scoring, so that’s a good place to be.”

Against Dartmouth, the Huskies came out strong to take a 4-0 lead into halftime. Veitner scored two goals in the first half, bringing her season total to 20. UConn scored five more goals in the second half, including a hat trick from sophomore forward Amanda Collins. Sophomore Amelia Iacobucci also scored two goals in the game, and the Huskies recorded 42 shots overall.

The 42 shots and nine goals are both season-highs for UConn. The Huskies received 15 penalty corners to Dartmouth’s four, and UConn earned eight to Vilanova’s three on Friday. The total weekend margin for penalty corners was 23-7.

“We always spend a lot of time working on our attack penalty corners, and we got quite a few (Sunday),” Stevens said. “We were able to score both games on our attack penalty corner, so that’s always a point of emphasis.”

UConn remains the only undefeated team in Division I, and sits atop the Big East standings at 4-0. While everything seems to be going right for the Huskies lately, Stevens doesn’t let her team forget about the basics of the game.

“I think the team that does the fundamentals the best is going to win,” Stevens said. “It’s probably not that exciting, but we do the simple well, and that’s why we have an undefeated season going.”

The Huskies are back in action Saturday when Big East rival Liberty comes to Storrs. The game will be played at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex at noon.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at