Volleyball: Huskies split pair of conference games against SMU and Tulsa

A UConn volleyball player spikes the ball during the Huskies' 3-2 loss to Temple at Gampel Pavilion on Sept. 28, 2016. (Sami Mahmud/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team split their games this weekend, losing 3-1 to SMU Friday night before defeating Tulsa 3-0 on Sunday. These results place the team fourth in American Athletic conference standings with a record of 13-4, 4-2 in conference play. SMU currently ranks second in the American with a 5-1 conference record.

SMU came into the game Friday ready to win, and showed that mentality when they took over the first set. After going down 14-25 in the first set, the Huskies fired back winning the second set 25-17. After that, it all went downhill as they dropped the next two sets 17-25 and 20-25. Kayla Williams provided her usual dominance, registering 14 kills and nine digs. She was joined by Junior Danielle Cabel who had the game of her career, with 16 kills on 24 total attacks. The main difference between the teams was a large number of errors for the Huskies, not having a single block all game and giving up 24 offensive errors. Emma Turner and Rebecca River led the team with assists, providing 27 and 23 respectively. SMU’s Katie Hegarty led her team with 22 kills against UConn, while Kendall Patterson led with 51 assists.

After her career high game Friday, Danielle Cabel headed into Tulsa Sunday and registered another 16-kill game to lead UConn in their 3-0 win.  The kills were spread out across the team, however, and five players had more than 6 kills. Emma Turner led the team with 24 assists in addition to 14 from Rebecca Rivera. Tulsa wasn’t able to connect on their strikes in the second two sets with a 40 percent hitting percentage. Also, Tulsa only registered 35 assists, with no player providing over 20.

UConn’s next game is against UCF Friday at 4:00 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion. UCF currently sit tied with UConn in the American standings, with both teams 4-2 in conference play and only separated by one game overall.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.