Women's Hockey: Huskies overwhelmed by talented Bobcats

Briana Colangelo (#61) gets rid of the puck as QU's Emma Woods (#18) moves in during QU's 3-0 win over UConn on Saturday Oct. 8, 2016 at the Freitas Ice Forum. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

In their home opener game, the Huskies were unable to match up to No. 3 Quinnipiac and lost 3-0, as the Huskies are trying to find their rhythm as a team through their first games of the season.

“We just have to be better in a lot of areas. We are still finding our peak and we learned a lot about ourselves tonight,” head coach, Chris Mackenzie said.

In the first period, the Huskies and the Bobcats went head to head. UConn had eight shots while Quinnipiac had nine.

It was not until the last minute of the first period that QU was able to break UConn’s defense. Emma Woods from Quinnipiac shot from left to the top right corner to score.

“The first goal in any game is big and when you play Quinnipiac the first goal is a big deal and they were able to get the first goal,” Mackenzie said.  

From there on, the Huskies were unable to keep up with the high pressure line and the aggressive attack from the Bobcats.

During the first five minutes of the second period Quinnipiac had seven shots and the puck barely ever crossed their defensive half.

With a total of 35 shots on goal during whole game and 62 attempted shots, QU was always a constant threat in front of UConn goaltender, Annie Belanger.

The first goal in any game is big and when you play Quinnipiac, the first goal is a big deal and they were able to get the first goal.
— UConn head coach Chris Mackenzie

While the Huskies had 21 shots on goal, they were unable to capitalize any of the opportunities they had.

“We had a couple of breakaways in the first (period), if we get a couple of those right off the bat, maybe it was a different game,” Mackenzie said.  

Another area where the Huskies underperformed was power play. UConn had seven shots in power play while QU had 16 and scored one goal from those.

“We have to generate more (chances) on the power play.” Mackenzie said.

After the first period, UConn offensive generation and shots dropped to eight shots on the second period and four in their third period.

UConn’s nine penalties and the Bobcat’s well-coordinated defense prevented the team from being more effective against Quinnipiac’s goaltender, Sydney Rossman.

In the future when playing teams like Quinnipiac, Mackenzie said they had to move their feet, play with speed, play physical with them, stay off the penalty box and most importantly they had to be better at the face off-circle.

Despite the loss, Mackenzie said they are on the right track as a team and they are finding their chemistry.

“I feel good, I think we are doing a lot of what we want to do, I think we are doing a lot of the right things.”

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.