Roundtable: Who will be UConn men’s basketball’s leading scorer?

The UConn mens' basketball team defeated Southern Connecticut 94-65 on Saturday Nov. 4, 2016 at Gampel Pavilion. Senior forward Rodney Purvis led all scorers with 19 points.  The Daily Campus sports staff discusses who they anticipate to be this season leading scorer.  (Jason Hagis/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s basketball team kicks off its 2016-17 season Friday against Wagner at Gampel Pavilion, and there are a lot of questions to be asked. With Shonn Miller, Sterling Gibbs and Daniel Hamilton all gone from last year’s team, there is a huge scoring gap to fill, and there are many candidates to help fill it. So, our question for this roundtable is: who will be the leading scorer on the UConn men’s basketball team this season?

Matthew Kren, Staff Writer

Overlooked by countless pundits, writers and even UConn fans, Rodney Purvis is the best all-around player on the Huskies roster. With breakaway speed, great handles and a high basketball IQ, Purvis is a knock down three pointer shooter and pure scorer. The one knock on him is his inability to finish close at the rim, but this season, where UConn will be able to score consistently in every position, he will have more one-on-one opportunities which will suite his offensive skill sets. I would not be surprised if Purvis is in the 16.5-18 points per game, with multiple games in the 23-27 point range. Do not sleep on the ferrari, he is ready to rev it up and make his mark on the UConn program.

Shahan Kamal, Campus Correspondent

In looking at this team, it just seems like Terry Larrier is ready to take off. He’s got the highest potential as an NBA prospect, with a lot of people putting him in the lottery. Like Purvis not long ago, Larrier is a fresh ferrari coming out of the garage. Larrier can do a little bit of everything, and Ollie has remarked that he can replace Danny Hamilton. Larrier has size, shooting ability, physicality and plenty of room to grow. After sitting on the bench for a year and waiting his turn, Terry Larrier is ready to burst on the scene as the face of this team. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t average 18 or 19 points per game.

Josh Buser, Campus Correspondent

Back for his sophomore year and first in line at the point guard position, Jalen Adams will lead the team in scoring. Adams averaged 7.3 points per game last season, despite coming off the bench for most of the year and playing limited minutes behind Sterling Gibbs. With Gibbs and his 12.0 points per game gone, Adams will have a great opportunity to show what he can do as the top point guard. His ability to drive to the basket and finish in traffic was on display often during the second half of the season, and his jump shot should improve in his second year. With not much help coming from the post on the offensive end, Adams and the rest of the guards will have to do most of the heavy lifting for the UConn offense.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.

Shahan Kamal is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at shahan.kamal@uconn.edu.  

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.