Volleyball: Huskies host ECU and Cincinnati in two pivotal AAC rematches

Outside hitter Danielle Cabel spikes the ball in an October 30th game against Memphis. The Huskies won 3-0. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team will be hosting ECU on Friday and Cincinnati on Sunday in two American conference matches.

The Huskies (15-10, 6-8 The American) are looking to get back to .500 in American play if they are able to beat the Pirates and the Bearcats this weekend. ECU (14-10, 4-10 The American) are trying to rebound after dropping matches to Tulsa and SMU last weekend and they’ve lost their last four conference matches. Cincinnati (16-9, 11-3 The American) is currently second in the American and is ranked No. 42 in the NCAA RPI.

Even though the Huskies went on a long losing streak where they struggled on offense, they are still one of the best offensive teams in the country. They rank seventh in kills per set with 14.45 and ninth in assists per set with 13.53. Redshirt freshman Kayla Williams was named to the American honor roll on Monday, after she recorded two double-doubles against Tulane and Houston last weekend. Senior Hayley Cmajdalka is currently third in the American with a .353 hitting percentage and junior Tosin Adeniyi is fourth in the conference with a hitting percentage of .352. Williams ranks sixth in kills per set with 3.60 and sophomore Emma Turner is ninth in the conference in assists per set with 6.39. The Huskies will be looking to avenge the loses they’ve suffered to both the Pirates and the Cougars this season.

On Friday at 2 p.m., the Huskies will go up against the ECU Pirates who are looking to snap their four-game losing streak in conference. ECU may not have the same offensive firepower as the Huskies, but their defense was able to hold the Huskies to a .128 hitting percentage the last time they faced each other on Oct. 23rd. The Pirates are currently first in the conference in blocks per set with 2.26 and are second in opponent hitting percentage (.167). Junior Natalie Montini ranks fourth in the American in blocks per set while senior Ashley McRae is second in the American in hitting percentage (.357).

On Sunday at 1 p.m., UConn will face the Cincinnati Bearcats who are looking to take the top spot in the American and punch their ticket to the NCAA tournament. Like UConn, the Bearcats have an offense that can compete with anyone in the conference. They have a hitting percentage of .240, which is good enough for third in the conference. They are also fifth in the conference in both assists per set with 12.51 and kills per set with 13.45. Sophomore Jordan Thompson has the most kills overall with 451 and averages more kills per set than anyone in the American with 4.85.

After this weekend, the Huskies will travel to Florida to take on USF and UCF.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.