Past dining services employee passes away

Antoinette Mary Caldero worked for UConn dining services from the late 1980s to the early 2000s in North Dining Hall. (Courtesy/Potter Funeral Home)

Antoinette Mary Caldero, a past University of Connecticut dining services employee, died on Tuesday.

Antoinette loved UConn and everything about it, her son Miguel Caldero said. Miguel said that when Antoinette began working at the university she loved the new big family that she was a part of.

Antoinette, 65, who was born in Hartford and lived in Stafford Springs, worked in dining services from the late 1980s to the early 2000s.

“My mom worked in North dining hall: ‘The Jungle.’ She had stories from the jungle that would make you laugh and laugh,” Miguel said.

Antoinette, who was known as Toni by her fellow employees, friends and family, never had any problems with anybody, Miguel said.

“She had this glow that everybody saw,” Miguel said. “She was truly the nicest person.”

Even after retiring from UConn, she wanted to stay informed and close.

“She always had to know what was going on (at UConn), whether it was faculty or staff related. She always liked hearing about it in The Daily Campus newspaper. She had the sweatshirts and jackets, and she loved the UConn Dairy Bar.”

Antoinette loved animals, especially her Chihuahua named Poncho. Miguel said Poncho was taking the loss hard, “He might be more torn up about it than I am.”

Miguel said that Antoinette “got her last word in” when she voted for Hillary Clinton, instead of Donald Trump, whom she strongly disliked.

Antoinette leaves behind Miguel and his two brothers- Roberto and Rafael. She also leaves behind Roberto’s wife Gabriella and their two children, Stephanie and Samantha.

Funeral services will be held at the Potter Funeral Home at 456 Jackson St. (Rte. 195) in Willimantic on Saturday Nov. 12 at 9 a.m. A burial will follow at Mansfield Center Cemetery on Cemetery Road in Mansfield Center. All are welcome to attend.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.