Men’s Hockey: Huskies blow multiple leads in series at Ohio State

Forward Max Kelter (18) avoids forward Jared Pike (14) during the Huskies 2-2 tie against the AIC Hornets on Oct. 23, 2016 at the XL Center in Hartford, CT. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

To close out their five-game road trip, UConn men’s hockey traveled to Ohio for a weekend series with the No. 14 Ohio State Buckeyes. The Huskies (3-3-5) held the lead in both games but could not finish the job, resulting in a loss on Friday night and a tie on Saturday evening.

In Friday’s game, UConn went down 2-1 after the first period. However, goals from Johnny Austin, Maxim Letunov and Brian Morgan gave the Huskies a 4-2 lead about halfway through the game.

The Buckeyes responded quickly, with three goals of their own within two minutes of UConn’s fourth, to retake the lead 5-4. A late third period goal and an empty net goal sealed the win for the Buckeyes, as they won game one 7-4.

UConn only managed five shots while trying to come back in the third period. In the game, the Huskies were outshot 38-25. Sophomore Tage Thompson recorded a goal and two assists in the game, and freshman goaltender Adam Huska got the start and made 31 saves in the loss.

Saturday, the teams faced off again at the same place. The Huskies jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to two power play goals from Thompson, his sixth and seventh goals of the season.

UConn once again could not hold on, as they allowed three unanswered goals to the Buckeyes. In the second period, Ohio State outshot UConn by an incredible 25-2 margin, and in the game the Buckeyes had a 49-17 advantage in shots. Senior goaltender Rob Nichols did his part in net, making 46 saves.

The Huskies evened the score midway through the final period when Morgan scored his second goal of the weekend. The game went to overtime, where Ohio State outshot UConn 2-1. The Huskies were called for a penalty with under a minute to go, but were able to kill it off and preserve the tie.

Next up for UConn is a weekend series against Hockey East rival and No. 4 Boston University. The Huskies will host BU on Friday at 7 p.m. in the XL Center before traveling to Boston for a rematch on Saturday night.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu