Volleyball splits weekend against AAC opponents

The Huskies defeated the East Carolina Pirates three sets to on in Gampel Pavilion on Friday, Nov. 11, 2016. The team lost their next game against the Cincinnati Bearcats 3-0 on Sunday afternoon. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn (16-11, 7-9 conference) was able to get their revenge against East Carolina (14-12, 4-12 conference), who defeated the Huskies 3-2 in late October. Redshirt Kayla Williams led the charge against the Pirates, starting the game off with five kills in the first set. The Huskies would win the first set easily 25-18, and the second 25-19. After falling behind in the third set 9-3, East Carolina would rally back to tie the set 9-9. They would continue to stay with UConn until they pulled ahead 20-19 before winning 25-21. The extension would not last long, as UConn would pull out a tough fourth set to win the game. The game was tied 24-24 before back-to-back kills by Williams would win the set 26-24 and the game 3-1.

The Huskies were led in kills by Kayla Williams 12, along with 10 from Camille Evans and 9 from Tosin Adeniyi. Rebecca Rivera had 28 assists to lead the team while also recording 13 digs, a match-high which she tied Elizabeth Kline for. For East Carolina, 44 of 49 assists came from Sabrina Gonzalez in addition to four digs. While I’Tiana Taylor and Ashley McRae contributed 10 and 13 kills, respectively, but the main positive for the Pirates is the 13 digs that came from Sydney Darden and Brandee Markwith in addition to 12 from Taylor for a combined 38 out of the team’s 52. The Pirates would also register 17 blocks as a team, with 6 coming from McRae.

After the win on Friday, UConn would get swept in the series this year against Cincinnati Sunday. The Huskies were dismantled by the Bearcats, losing in three sets 25-15, 25-23 and 25-17. Despite tying the game 17-17 in the third set, Cincinnati would go on a 8-0 run to win the game in three sets.  Sophomore Jordan Thompson would lead the strike, finishing a team high 11 kills and 10 digs in addition to a .333 hitting percentage. Senior Ciara Hill would also contribute 10 kills while sophomore Jade Tingelhoff would lead in assists with 29. No Husky would manage to reach 10 kills in the game, with only Kayla Williams managing to reach double-digits with 10 digs and Emma Turner and Rebecca Rivera giving 14 and 19 assists each. Senior Haley Cmajdalka and junior Tosin Adeniyi led the team in kills with 8 each and Cmajdalka would register a .538 hitting percentage on 13 attempts.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.