Everything you need to know when picking your interview outfit

As college students eventually we all need to go through the interview process. Typically one of the biggest challenges any of us face is what to wear, besides preparing yourself to get the job of your dreams! Since recently I’ve discovered how much work it is to put together a fashionable outfit while still abiding by the ‘business casual’ rule of thumb, I’ve come up with a few tips to make sure that the outfit you come up with will be both comfortable and appropriate for whatever interview you’re walking into.

Do your research: A lot of companies nowadays, especially startups tend to be a little more relaxed about office attire. Sometimes the recruiter will even mention in your interview scheduling email that you might not want to go all out when picking out an outfit. That's okay! It makes it better for you and it lets you be a little more comfortable rather than fidgeting in an outfit that you normally wouldn’t be caught dead in. Leave the club heels at home and decide on something practical, if it's your final interview you’ll probably be there awhile and you don’t want your interviewer to know you’re uncomfortable, if you feel it, it shows!

Pick something that reflects who you are: A running theme with all my columns is the fact that your fashion sense is a reflection of who you are as a person and your personal style. This is the place to demonstrate who you are, especially if the job you’re interested in is fashion related. This isn’t The Devil Wears Prada! If fashion is your life, SHOW IT. Even if it’s just an interest, this is a great way for your interviewer to get a feel for who you are as a person and figure out if you’d fit in with their company.

Be COMFORTABLE: I cannot emphasize this enough, this is not the time to try out those brand new stiletto heels you’ve been dying to wear. Pick something that you feel reflects who you are but still puts you at ease. You don’t want to be worrying that you’re going to fall headfirst down a staircase when you’re trying to make a good impression.

Be professional: This one goes without saying but jeans might not be the best choice for any interview. Ever. If your interviewer gave you the go ahead that it’s a more casual setting, leave the dress pants at home but maybe opt for a simple black dress or a pair of printed pants. Everything you wear sends a message and I don’t think jeans is the message you’re going for.

Be Confident: This one might not be directly fashion related, but it will tell you if you picked the right ensemble. If you feel confident when you put on your outfit, you’ll know you hit the jackpot. Ultimately what you want in any interview is to go in confident in yourself and your skills and let's be honest, confidence is the BEST accessory and it matches with everything.

Those are my tips for the perfect interview outfit. As long as you have all these things you’re good to go no matter where you’re interviewing. You’re now prepared to kill the interview game and get the internship/job you’ve been dreaming about your entire college career.

Michelle Marquez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at michelle.marquez@uconn.edu.