Know Your Hockey East Foe: Boston University Terriers

Forward Kasperi Ojantakanen (23) fights AIC defenseman Andrew DeBrincat (23) for the puck during the Huskies 2-2 tie against the Hornets at the XL center on Friday, Oct. 21, 2016. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut will take on the No. 5 Boston University Terriers on Friday night at the XL Center in Hartford and again on Saturday night in Boston.

The Terriers are 5-3-1 on the season, but only 2-3-1 on the road which is good news for the Huskies. Boston University comes into Hartford having split a series with No. 16 Michigan in Ann Arbor last weekend. The Terriers dropped the series opener 4-0 on Friday night, but came back with a 4-2 win on Saturday night. Boston University’s only other losses are a pair of losses, 4-3 and 3-1, to current No. 1 Denver University on the road in mid-October.

The Terriers are 2-0 against common opponents with UConn. Boston University defeated Colgate 6-1 and No. 4 Quinnipiac 3-0. The Huskies tied Colgate 4-4, and fell to No. 4 Quinnipiac 5-2.  

In Hockey East Action Boston University is 1-0-1. They tied Northeastern 4-4 on their turf, and defeated them 3-0 the next night at home.

Boston University’s roster is loaded with 11 NHL draft picks, which is second in the country to University of Minnesota’s 13 NHL draft picks. Their top producing line, which consists of freshmen Patrick Harper, freshman Clayton Keller and sophomore Jordan Greenway, has scored 15 of the teams 31 goals this season. Harper has 14 points, five goals and nine assists in nine games this season. Keller, who has missed the last two games, has nine points, five goals and four assists, in seven games this season. Greenway has 12 points, five goals and seven assists in the first nine games. All three of these prolific forwards have been drafted in the past two years. Harper was Nashville’s fifth round pick in 2016, Keller was Arizona’s first round pick in 2016 and Greenway was Minnesota’s second round pick in 2015. UConn will have to find a way to slow this line down if they want to have any chance at winning the game.

The Terriers also have the luxury of dressing six defensemen who have all heard their name called on draft day. The Boston University defense has been tough to get by this season, allowing only 18 goals in nine games, and only 12 goals when playing five-on-five. The Terrier penalty kill has also been impressive, holding opponents to a power play conversion rate of 9.7 percent (6-62). The Huskies need to make the most of their opportunities when they get in behind the defense, because it will not happen often.

Jonathan Dupont is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jonathan.dupont@uconn.edu