Terrence Mann named artistic director of Nutmeg Summer Series at CT Repertory Theatre

Terrence Mann will succeed Vincent Cardinal, the artistic director of Connecticut Repertory Theatre’s Nutmeg Summer Series since 2010. Cardinal left his post in the Nutmeg Summer Series and head of the Department of Dramatic Arts to become the Arthur and Martha Hearron endowed professor of musical theatre, chair of the department of musical theatre and professor of music, school of music, theatre and dance at the University of Michigan this year.

Headshot of Terrance Mann who was recently named artistic director of Nutmeg Summer Series at CT Repertory theatre (Photo courtesy of Matthew J. Pugliese)

The three-time tony award-nominee Mann is no stranger to the CRT stage. Over the last few seasons he has starred in the productions of “My Fair Lady,” “Man of La Mancha,” “Pirates of Penzance,” “Peter Pan” and “Les Miserables,” where he reprised his role as Javert from the 1987 Broadway cast.

“I had the honor of working with Terrence Mann in Peter Pan during the CRT Nutmeg series last summer. He played Captain Hook and I was one of the lost boys, Nibs,” Olivia Benson, a ninth semester cognitive science and theatre studies major, said. “Anytime an actor of his talent comes in it can be very intimidating, but Terry was so kind and supportive to the entire cast from day one. His passion for the work was palpable and while he takes the work seriously, he never failed to put a smile on everyone's face. He is more than deserving of his status in the theatre world and his wife, Charlotte D'Amboise, is also a phenomenal talent, as well as his daughter Shelby, who I had the joy of playing a "big brother" to during ‘Peter Pan.’”

Mann was recently seen in the original Broadway productions of “Tuck Everlasting,” “Finding Neverland,” and “Pippin.” Mann is also known for his role as the Beast, in the original 1994 Broadway production “Beauty and the Beast” and Frank ‘N’ Furter in “The Rocky Horror Show” Broadway revival in 2000.

“Working with Terrence Mann is an absolute dream, both as an actor and a director,” alumnus acting major Chester Allan Martin, said. “Under his leadership, there is never a sliver of doubt regarding the direction he intends to go, and it's balanced with a seasoned ability to play off what individual performers bring to the table. It's an efficient mix of committed passion and creative malleability. When it comes to the Nutmeg schedule, this efficiency in an artistic director is key.”

The productions for the summer season have yet to be announced. Many of the top students that are in the BFA acting and design/technical theatre programs at the university often work in the summer season, according to a press release from CRT.

Matthew Gilbert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.gilbert@uconn.edu.