Women’s Hockey: UConn hosts Maine

UConn's Cydnee Cook (#4) takes the puck up against Penn State on October 21st. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

This Friday, Nov. 18, the UConn women’s hockey team (7-4-1, 2-2-0 Hockey East) will take on the Maine Black Bears at Freitas Ice Forum.

While Maine has struggled this season with a 3-10 overall record and 2-7 in conference play, UConn won’t be taking it easy in their matchup against the Black Bears.

“We are preparing for Maine the same way we prepare for every opponent. We are going to focus on how we are going to play, be aware of their special teams tendencies and try to play with a physical edge,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

The best player on the Black Bears team is Tereza Vanisová, a freshman forward from the Czech Republic. So far this season Vanisová has eight goals and six assists for 14 points.

Last season when these two teams met UConn beat Maine all three times. The first game was almost exactly a year ago on Nov. 22 and the score was 2-0. The next two games occurred in February with UConn winning 2-1 and 4-3.

For UConn the points leaders this season are junior forward Theresa Knutson, who has seven goals and seven assists for 14 points, and junior defenseman Leah Lum, who has eight goals and four assists for 12 points.

While the Huskies are having a great season thus far it has not been clear who, if anyone, was the clear leading voice of the team.

“Leadership has come from many players at different times this season,” MacKenzie said.

The game serves as a tune-up for the Huskies before they head into the Nutmeg Classic in Hamden, Connecticut where they’ll face 10-3-1 Northeastern University for the first time this season.

For the Maine game, MacKenzie is very positive about his team’s skills and abilities.

“We’ve had scoring from all four lines and defensively we’ve been very sound…as long as we focus on playing together and managing our shifts… we will give ourselves an opportunity to be successful,” MacKenzie said.

The Huskies have every right to be confident in their abilities as they are coming off a three-game winning streak including an overtime thriller against New Hampshire. All three of those wins were away games making the feat that much more impressive.

The puck drop for UConn against Maine will be at 7 p.m. at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, Connecticut.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.