Meals available at McMahon over break

Students will be able to head

Students who intend to remain on campus at the University of Connecticut during the upcoming Thanksgiving break can order meals for the week if they are currently on a UConn meal plan.

“The criteria to be able to get the meals is to have a meal plan,” Dennis Pierce, the director of UConn Dining Services, said.

Students will be able to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner during certain hours at the McMahon dining unit on every day during break except Thanksgiving Day.

The online form allows students to sign up for individual meals for each day that the dining hall will be operating. “It’s not like we have now with continuous service,” Pierce said. “You can go to McMahon and eat all you want to eat during the period.”

Students who do not have a meal plan may still purchase meals by paying in cash at the door.

Students who are interested in receiving a boxed Thanksgiving meal can sign up for one and pick it up Wednesday afternoon.

“(The boxed meal) has heating instructions and refrigeration instructions for safe food handling,” Pierce said.

UConn Dining Services also offers these boxed meals to UConn employees such as police officers, firefighters and power plant workers who have to work on the holiday.

“We provide meals to them in the same way,” Pierce said.

Pierce said that relatively few students sign up for the Thanksgiving meal, as they typically distribute 15 meals to students each year.

However, about 200 students sign up to receive meals during the week, Pierce said.

UConn Dining Services has been providing meals for students during Thanksgiving break for about six years, Pierce said.

“Five or six years ago, the University made the decision that, because of the cost of travel and because of a lot of international students on campus, they would leave residential halls open during break,” Pierce said.

Additionally, Booksworms, the Beanery and Up and Atom cafes will remain open on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday operating on reduced hours. Wilbur’s Café will also be open on Monday and Tuesday.

Points and flex passes will not work over the break, but students may still use Husky Bucks at locations where they are an accepted form of payment.

The Union Street Market and Dairy Bar will also remain open during the week.

In order for students to receive meals from dining services over break, they must sign up on the Dining Services website by Friday, Nov. 18.

Any student who does not sign up for meals by this time will have his/her meal plan shut down after dinner on Friday and it will be reactivated Sunday, Nov. 27.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna