Students might face student fee increase

The Board of Trustees discusses university actions during their monthly meeting on Oct. 26, 2016 in the Rome Ballroom. The board will discuss a student fee increase at their Dec. 7 meeting. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus) 

University of Connecticut students might face an increased student fee starting in Fall 2017.

Student fees have remained steady since Fall 2014, despite reductions in state funding and increased operating costs, university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

The proposed fee would be tied to specific services, such as students being able to use the public bus system throughout the state, or a direct price increase in specific programs, such as international student programs.

The new transportation options would mean a $40 annual increase to that portion of student fees, from $120 to $160, Reitz said.

The UConn Board of Trustees is scheduled to review and vote on these proposed changes at its Dec. 7 meeting. An open forum was held Wednesday to discuss the proposals, but attendance was sparse.

Modest adjustments have been proposed to room and board fees, covering costs to maintain UConn’s residence halls, including the new Stamford residence halls.  Some other specific programs, like the Executive MBA program, online courses and the certificate entry into Nursing, might face rising fees.

“UConn remains an excellent value among its peers and competitors, and adheres to a philosophy in which it increases fees only when absolutely necessary,” Reitz said. “In an effort to ensure UConn fees are as transparent and simplified as possible, President Susan Herbst is creating a task force that will be charged with evaluating the purpose and use of every student fee and the overall fee structure, and returning with recommendations for improvements.”

More information about the rising fees and their implications will be forthcoming.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.