UConn Foundation receives grant for military support

The UConn Foundation has received a $40,000 grant from the Newman's Own Foundation. The money will go towards services for disabled veterans. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Foundation recently received a $40,000 grant from the Newman’s Own Foundation, honoring active service members and veterans.

The grant will go toward the Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans with Disabilities, which works with disabled veterans to ensure their economic stability and promote economic security. The grant will also help support the equivalent of the two veterans for participation in the 12-month program.

According to their website, actor Paul Newman founded the Newman’s Own Foundation in 2005 to continue his legacy of giving and creating opportunities for long-term impact.

The Foundation has four key focus areas: philanthropy, children, empowerment and nutrition. Under the empowerment focus area, the foundation works to support the career goals and education of returning service members.

Michael Zacchea is the founder and director of EBV, as well as a veteran himself. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps in 1990, and served in many operations.

Zacchea was wounded by a rocket-propelled grenade when serving in Iraq. He now lives his life supporting other wounded veterans, as well active service members.

“It would be impossible for me to turn my back on them,” Zacchea said. He has helped veterans start 115 businesses that produced more than $35 million in gross value.

Zacchea said the grant puts his foundation in the top tier of non-profits. The Newman’s Own Foundation is seen as a “gold-standard foundation,” and he said he was honored that UConn and EBV have been gifted this grant.

“Continuing service is the only thing that makes sense to me anymore,” Zacchea said.

Emma DeGrandi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.degrandi@uconn.edu