Drink of the Week: Cranberry and cinnamon whiskey sours

Cranberry and cinnamon whiskey sours allow you to start getting into the holiday spirit and warm up as the weather gets colder. (Megan Krementowski/The Daily Campus)

Putting pumpkins and apples behind us, I decided to try this recipe for cranberry and cinnamon whiskey sours. Although it takes a bit more time than our usual recipes, the result is well worth it. Additionally, even though the holiday season is still around the corner, the cranberries and cinnamon add a bit of a festive touch. This recipe serves four.

Ingredients include:

• two cups of fresh cranberries
  • two cups of water
  • two cups of sugar
  • two cinnamon sticks
  • three-fourths cup of bourbon or whiskey
  • one-half cup of lemon juice
  • one-fourth cup of orange juice
  • one-fourth cup of lime juice
  • ice cubes

In a medium-sized pot add cranberries, water, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Heat the pot over a medium flame and bring to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and stir until the cranberries have burst open and can be easily stirred into the syrup. (This will take about 10 minutes.) Once complete, remove the syrup mixture from heat. Fit a large bowl with a fine mesh strainer and strain the simple syrup, which will leave the large chunks and cranberry skin behind. Let the mixture cool for at least 10 minutes before using.

When making your cocktails, add three-fourths cup of simple syrup, whiskey, lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice and a large handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Shake for about 30 seconds, then divide into four glasses and serve at once.

Megan Krementowski is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.