Program Evaluation and Cost-Benefit course offered in ARE for spring

The department of Agricultural and Resource Economics decided to reformat ARE 4464/5464 as ARE 3464 Program Evaluation and Benefit-Cost Analysis in a move to make the class more accessible to undergraduate students (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics will be reformatting its course ARE 4464/5464 Program Evaluation and Benefit-Cost Analysis into two courses, one specifically for undergraduates and one for graduates starting in the spring.

The department decided to reformat ARE 4464/5464 as ARE 3464 Program Evaluation and Benefit-Cost Analysis in a move to make the class more accessible to undergraduate students according to course instructor, Professor Nathan Fiala.  

Fiala explained the split was necessary because having a combined undergraduate and graduate level course was not beneficial for either group of students. The department will still offer ARE 5464 as a separate course for graduate students.     

The class will primarily teach students how to measure the total impact and costs of particular government and NGO programs and policies by using applied economics.  

The new format should prove to be particularly interesting to students studying public policy, human rights, political science and economics as the course takes an in-depth look at how NGOs and governments best design and select policies and programs in a world of limited resources, said Fiala; who specializes in researching the effects of such policies in Uganda.

According to Fiala, undergraduates will further benefit from the smaller class size, and the reduced use of complex math.

The department has also decided that Math 1071Q is no longer needed as a prerequisite to enroll and permissions numbers will be distributed to interested students. The required text, “Measuring Success of Youth Livelihood Interventions,” written by Fiala and Kevin Hempel, is free, and available via a link listed in the course syllabus, said Fiala.

Jeffrey Levins is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jeffrey.levins@uconn.edu.