Travel apps prove to be helpful student aids in finding affordable airfare

The StudentUniverse app provides the best airline ticket deals for students planning trips on a budget. (Screenshot/StudentUniverse)

StudentUniverse – Free

With the holiday season quickly approaching and airfare rates climbing higher and higher, now is the time for students on a budget to start planning their winter travels.

The good news is that there is a saving grace for all traveling preparations: the StudentUniverse app.

Available for iOS and Android devices, StudentUniverse is also available on its standalone website. What makes this app so convenient is that all you need to do is show two forms of ID to prove you are a student (i.e. class schedule, school ID, semester bill, etc.) and it instantly gives you access to deals on airfare, hotel, tours and group travel.

I just flew out to Chicago last week from LaGuardia airport for $157 round trip, and have seen round-trip flights to London for less than $500.

Not only does this website give deals to students and adults under 25 years old, it also provides faculty access to these ridiculously discounted fares as well.  

StudentUniverse has this advantage because certain airlines allow for a designated portion of their tickets to be discounted for youth and student travelers. So no, you might not be flying first class on these fares, but who needs comfy seats when you can travel across the globe for a fraction of the cost?

The app’s interface is simple and easy to use, giving you an option to find flights on exact dates or flexible dates, allowing you to browse the calendar to find which rates are best for you.

StudentUniverse even gives you the flexibility to cancel your flight up to 24 hours after booking if you happen to change your mind.

Overall, StudentUniverse will not only help you to potentially save a few bucks this holiday season, but you’ll now be able to use that extra cash for those Black Friday deals.

Ryanair – Free

The Ryanair app gives students the opportunity to make traveling throughout Europe convenient and affordable. (Ferran Cerdans Serra/Flickr Creative Commons)  

While this app is only effective for those traveling to Europe this holiday season, it is truly indispensable if you are heading out over the great Atlantic.  

Ryanair is a budget airline based in Dublin, Ireland, best known for being Europe’s busiest national airline since its debut in 1985.

Flying to and from destinations ranging from Spain to Israel, this budget airline is a go-to for country hoppers. Ryanair has even been known to advertise fares that goes as low at $10 a seat.

Available for free on iOS and Android devices, Ryanair is your #1 source for inexpensive European air travel for any world explorer.

The only downside is that the planes are very small, so make sure to pack light. Also be prepared for the beginning of every flight to resemble one giant infomercial, as the flight attendants will try to sell you everything from snack boxes to Angora sweaters.

Overall, for those considering a European holiday extravaganza, make sure to let Ryanair help make the most of your trip.

Anna Marini is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus at the Waterbury campus. She can be reached via email at anna.marini@uconn.edu.