Women's Soccer: Five Huskies take home conference awards

Senior Rachel Hill (3) dodges a USF player during the Huskies 3-1 victory over the Bulls on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016 at Morrone Stadium. Hill took home the award for Co-Midfielder of the Year and for an impressive fourth straight season was named to the All-Conference Team. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Unsurprisingly, five members of the regular season conference champion UConn women’s soccer team have earned major conference awards.

Stephanie Ribeiro, Toriana Patterson, Rachel Hill, Emily Armstrong and Head Coach Len Tsantiris all won major conference awards.

Ribeiro was unanimously named Offensive Player of the Year. The redshirt senior leads the nation in two different scoring categories, including total points, with 49, and game-winners, with 11 on the year. She is also tied for first in total goals (19). Ribeiro was also named to the All-Conference Team for the second straight season.

Hill took home the award for Co-Midfielder of the Year and for an impressive fourth straight season was named to the All-Conference Team. The New Hampshire native is second on the team with 31 points after tallying 13 goals and five assists.

For a second straight year Armstrong earned the Goalkeeper of the Year award. The senior goaltender kept a career-high nine clean sheets this season and made 84 saves in the process.

Patterson also contributed heavily to the Huskies staunch defense and was named the Co-Defensive Player of the Year. Patterson was a stalwart for UConn this season starting in all 19 matches.

The 2016 season will be a memorable one for Tsantiris, who is in his 36th season at the helm of the team. In addition to being named Co-Coach of the Year, Tsantiris also enjoyed his 550th career win. This is Tsantiris second straight year being named a top coach in the American.

Alana Moore and Kristen Vinciguerra earned spots on the American Athletic Conference’s All-Rookie team.

Overall, six Huskies earned spots on All-Conference teams.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.