Men’s Hockey: UConn drops early lead and loses to Sacred Heart

The Huskies take on BU at the XL Center Friday night. The Huskies were defeated 2-1with one goal from Spencer Naas.  (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn Men’s Hockey team surrendered four unanswered goals in a Saturday afternoon 4-2 loss to in-state rival Sacred Heart.

The Huskies dropped the puck with the Pioneers Saturday afternoon at the XL Center in front of a crowd of 3,699.

UConn (4-6-5) started scoring early with two goals in the first period. Both junior Corey Ronan and sophomore Tage Thompson found the back of the net. But that was all the offense UConn would find on Saturday.

Ronan’s goal was his second of the season. Thompson’s goal was his eighth of the season, a team-high.

Sacred Heart (5-7-2) dictated all facets of the game following UConn’s second goal. Senior Jordan Minello started scoring for the Pioneers in the second period. Minello cut the Huskies’ lead in the half by following up Justin Danforth’s shot,  putting the rebound past UConn’s Rob Nichols.

UConn outshot Sacred Heart 18-13 in the second period but did not score.

The third period was all Pioneers from start to finish. Shots were even 10-10 but the Huskies were outscored 3-0. Minello tied the game up on his second of the day just five minutes into the third period. Minello’s two goals on the day brought his total up to eight for the season.

Pioneers freshman Austin McIlmurray gave Sacred Heart a lead about three minutes later. Danforth gave the Pioneers an insurance goal on the power play with eight minutes left in regulation.

UConn senior goaltender Rob Nichols made 28 saves in Saturday’s loss.

Both teams were lackluster on the power play. The Huskies were 0-5 on the day while the Pioneers went 1-6 on the man advantage.

With the win, Sacred Heart ties up the all-time season series with the Huskies at 29-29-5. UConn is now 0-1-2 this season against members of their former conference, Atlantic Hockey.

The Huskies will be back in action next weekend for a home-and-home series against UMass Lowell on Dec. 2 and 3.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.