UConn Women’s Hockey takes a tie and a loss in the Nutmeg Classic

Junior Justine Fredette takes the puck down the ice in the game against Yale University this past weekend.  (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus) 

The UConn women’s hockey team took to High Point Solutions Arena this past weekend to play in the 2016 Nutmeg Classic. UConn tied Yale in their opening game, losing in the shootout, before losing to Quinnipiac in their consolation game.

UConn’s first game was on Friday night against Yale. The first period was scoreless, although Yale dominated the shot differential 16-6.

Yale got on the board in the second period when Julia Yetman scored a power play goal in the tenth minute to give Yale a 1-0 lead. The Huskies were much more aggressive in the period, outshooting the Bulldogs 13-12. However, UConn also gave up two power play opportunities and failed to capitalize on their own.

The third period started almost immediately with a UConn penalty for too many players on the ice. Yale then committed consecutive penalties, resulting in two power plays that the Huskies failed to capitalize on. UConn stayed aggressive, however, outshooting Yale 13-5 in the period. With just eleven seconds left in the period, and an empty UConn net, Justine Fredette scored to tie the game at one and send it into overtime.

After a scoreless five-minute overtime period, the game would go into a shootout. Yale won the shootout 3-2 after Theresa Knutson’s shot was stopped by the Yale goaltender. The game counted as a tie for both teams, but UConn would go on to play Saturday in a consolation game against Quinnipiac.

Quinnipiac scored early when Taryn Baumgardt got one through in the fourth minute of the game. Quinnipiac scored again right out of a faceoff in the eleventh minute, with Randi Marcon getting credit for the goal. With less than a minute to play in the period, UConn’s leading scorer Leah Lum put one in to make the score 2-1 in favor of Quinnipiac.

With less than five minutes left in the second period, Lum scored another goal on a power play. That would be the only goal of the period as Quinnipiac outshot UConn 13-8.

Quinnipiac opened the third period with a goal 18 seconds in by Melissa Samoskevich. UConn tried to come back but came up short. Overall, UConn was outshot 45-18, and took a 3-2 loss.

The Huskies are back at Freitas Ice Forum this Friday, Dec. 2, for a game against Boston University.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.