Students return to discolored water at Mansfield Apartments

(Himakshi Bhatt and Julia Wirth/The Daily Campus)

Students living in Mansfield Apartments had yellow water coming out the faucets in their apartments on Sunday when they returned from Thanksgiving break.

“I just got back to campus today and I noticed [the discolored water] right away,” Emily Roller, a senior consumer behavior major who lives in Mansfield Apartments, said.

Roller said that the discolored water was coming out of the faucets in the kitchen and bathroom of her apartment.

RELATED: Discolored water reported in Cedar Ridge Apartments

RELATED: Students deserve clean water

RELATED: Copper detected in water at Hilltop Apartments

Himakshi Bhatt, a senior biological sciences major, described the water as murky with a brown hue.

Bhatt said that she ran the water through a Brita filter, but it still did not come out clear.

“It came out gross from the Brita filter too, so I was a little bummed about that,” Bhatt said.

Ellie Lauri, a senior math major, said that the water quality has improved since she arrived back on campus Sunday afternoon.

“It has improved a lot, it doesn’t look like it’s tinted anymore,” Lauri said.

Lauri said that she has not received any official communications from Mansfield Apartments or the university about the issue.

“I assume it’s fixing itself,” Lauri said.

Roller said that she has not yet contacted anyone about the issue but if it does not clear up on its own, she intends to do so.

“I’m hoping it goes away by tomorrow,” Roller said.

While most students came back to campus on Sunday after Thanksgiving break, the water in apartments was discolored during the week as well.

“It was a little yellow Wednesday morning, but it seemed fine by the time I left,” Mary Sohon, a fifth semester math major said.

Earlier in the semester, residents of Mansfield Apartments had a similar issue with brown water coming out of the faucets for several days.

“It eventually cleared up after three days,” Roller said regarding the incident in September.

Bhatt said that she was unsure whether the water cleared up because someone came to fix the situation or if it resolved itself.

“I don’t know if it happened because of the work order or if it happened on its own,” Roller said.

Anna Zarra Aldrich is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at anna.aldrich@uconn.edu. She tweets @ZarraAnna.