UConn In The NBA: Kemba’s heroics and Drummond’s defense headline a stellar week for former Huskies

Charlotte Hornets' Jeremy Lamb (3) is congratulated by a teammate after making a basket against the New York Knicks in the second half of an NBA basketball game in Charlotte, N.C., Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

Several former Huskies made their presences’ felt in the NBA during the past week. The noise was heard when Kemba Walker knocked down a game-tying and-one shot and when Andre Drummond blocked Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside’s shot into oblivion.

With 20.3 seconds left in regulation, Walker stepped up for the Hornets and made the game-tying and-one layup against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden, a place where he has been very successful over the years. However, the Hornets went on to lose the game in overtime.

The next night, Walker and the Hornets got their revenge against the Knicks and won 107-102, thanks to a 28-point effort by Walker.

Former Husky and current Hornet teammate of Walker, Jeremy Lamb, was tasked with filling in for starting small-forward Nicolas Batum, and did a solid job, scoring 18 points and grabbing 17 rebounds on Nov. 26, the most by an NBA guard this season. Those numbers are well above his season’s average of 8.2 points and 6.4 rebounds.

Andre Drummond has been a star in this league ever since he was drafted ninth overall in 2012, and this season he has only gotten better.

The star center is averaging 14.6 points and 13.4 rebounds per game this season, with his rebounding average second to Whiteside, who averages 14.9.

Drummond had a phenomenal game against the Heat on Nov. 23 in which he scored 18 points, snagged 15 rebounds, recorded four steals and blocked four shots. One of the blocks came against Whiteside in the second-quarter, in which he propelled the Pistons to a 107-84 victory.

According to the Pistons on Twitter, Head coach Stan Van Gundy had high praise of Drummond after the game.

“That’s maybe the best defensive game he’s played for us, period,” Van Gundy said of Drummond.

Despite Rudy Gay requesting a trade from the Sacramento Kings, the former Husky has been having himself an all-star caliber season.

The 10-year veteran is averaging 19.7 points and 6.4 rebounds per game through the first 16 games. Although the Kings are struggling with a 7-10 record, Gay is definitely not the reason why.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.