Field Hockey: Huskies pick up conference awards

UConn's Amanda Collins brings up the ball during a game against Quinnipiac. The Huskies defeated the Drexel Dragons 7-2 at the Sherman Family sports complex. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Junior forward Charlotte Veitner picked up her second consecutive Big East Offensive Player of the Year as the No. 4 UConn field hockey team collected multiple awards heading into the Big East championship.

Veitner currently leads the Big East in goals (23) and assists (14) and leads the country in points per game (3.16).

Senior Anna Middendorf was awarded Co-Defensive Player of the Year, she split the award with senior Serena Barr of Liberty. Middendorf, Veitner and junior Casey Umstead were named to All-Big East First Team.

Middendorf is fourth in the Big East with 11 goals, and her defensive presence on the UConn defense was instrumental to the five shutouts the Huskies recorded this season. The First Team selection is Middendorf’s third of her career, and the Co-Defensive Player of the Year selection is her first.

Umstead improves on her All-Big East Second Team selection from last year to land on the First Team for her junior year performance. She ranks second in the Big East in goals scored with 17.

Junior goaltender Nina Klein and fellow junior Karlie Heistand were named to All-Big East Second Team. Heistand’s selection makes it back-to-back Second Team selections for the midfielder. Klein is eighth in the NCAA in goals per game (1.20) and is responsible for five shutouts.

The coachers got involved too as head coach Nancy Stevens, assistant head coach Paul Caddy and assistant coach Cheri Schultz were named the Big East Coaching Staff of the Year.

The award marked the tenth Big East coaching award for Stevens, the winningest coach in collegiate field hockey history. The Huskies are unbeaten in their last twenty conference games and will be competing for their fifth-straight conference title this weekend against Temple.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.