Men's Soccer: Six seniors to be honored Saturday night vs. SMU

UConn senior midfielder Kwame Awuah makes a move on BC defender Younes Boudadi (#3) in the Huskies' 1-0 overtime win on Tuesday Oct. 18, 2016 at Morrone Stadium.

The UConn men’s soccer team (11-6, 3-3 The American) will look to snap a two-game conference losing streak this Saturday night when they will host SMU for senior night. Currently sitting at third place in the conference with nine points, UConn is seeking to improve their seeding for the upcoming American Athletic Conference men’s soccer tournament, which is right around the corner.

Despite winning their first three conference games, the Huskies have dropped three in a row as they have been shut out twice and have been outscored by a 5-1 margin. As a team, the Huskies have been facing a goal shortage as of late, as they have only scored more than one goal in one out of their last nine matches. At home this season, the Huskies have had no issue scoring as they have outscored their opponents 19-5, as they hold a 7-2 record at Morrone Stadium.

This match Saturday is Senior Night for the Huskies, as the team and crowd will honor six seniors: Kwame Awuah, Jakob Nerwinski, Jesse Wasserman, Sebastian Brems, Christopher Musco and Nicholas Zuniga. Awuah and Nerwinski are both captains this season, and they have helped lead the team to their 13th straight season with 10 or more wins, and the program’s most wins since the 2013-2014 season, when they finished with 12.

Awuah, who plays midfield, is tied for 25th in the NCAA with seven assists in 17 games as he has also scored two goals. Nerwinski, a defender, has also scored two goals and has assisted on four, as both have played in every game and have been a vital part to the team’s success. Joining the two captains is Brems, who has appeared in every match this year, as all three have also started every match. Brems has four assists and a goal.

Zuniga, who also plays midfield, has appeared in eight matches and has started two, as he has one assist and one goal on the season. Jesse Wasserman, who plays defense, has appeared in one game this season, and Musco is a goalkeeper who has not appeared in a match yet this season.

The Huskies opponent this weekend is SMU who holds a 6-9 record with a 2-4 record in the American Athletic Conference. UConn leads the all-time series against the Mustangs 6-2, as this series dates all the way back to 1982. The Huskies’ last victory against SMU came in 2014 as they won by a score of 2-1 at home, behind second-half goals from Jake Nerwinski and Cyle Larin.

Leading the way for SMU is Garrett McLaughlin who has three goals and three assists on the season. The Mustangs have recorded 19 goals on the season and average 12.5 shots per game, as their goal keeper Michael Nelson has started in 14 games in goal and holds a 1.19 goals against average.

The match this Saturday will start at 7:05 p.m. and has free admission for students, if they use their student IDs to pick up tickets before the end of Friday.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.