UConn Provost Mun Choi officially named president of University of Missouri

Mun Choi, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic speaks at a UConn town hall meeting in Augustus Storrs Hall on Tuesday, April 12th, 2016. Provost Choi will take over as the new president of the University of Missouri System on March 1, 2016. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

On Wednesday University of Connecticut Provost and Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs Mun Choi was officially named the next president of the University of Missouri, Mizzou’s Maneater reported.

UConn President Susan Herbst sent out an email to the UConn community regarding Choi’s appointment.

“While we are sorry to lose a terrific Provost, trusted colleague and great friend, I also know how much this advancement means to Mun and his family, and we wish them all the best,” Herbst wrote in the email. “He will begin in Missouri on March 1, 2017.”

Choi became provost at UConn in 2012 after being the Dean of the School of Engineering since 2008, according to the email. Choi’s background of over 24 years experience in higher education “has allowed him to understand faculty, staff and students,” the Maneater reported.

This past March during a Faculty Council meeting, members stated that their next president should be someone who has an understanding of higher education and who “was not Tim Wolfe (previous Mizzou president),” according to the Maneater.

“The job market in higher education is a national one, and Mun is a talented and tenacious leader, so it comes as no surprise that other high quality institutions would seek him out,” Herbst wrote in the email. “Any university would be lucky to have him.”

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu.