Volleyball: UConn heads south for road trip

UConn junior Tosin Adeniyi (#13) goes up to spike the ball as sophomore Emma Turner (#4) looks on in a game against Memphis on Oct. 30, 2016. The Huskies won three sets to none. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn volleyball will travel to face Tulane and Houston this weekend after recently snapping their five-game losing streak. The Huskies defeated both teams at home previously in the season and hope to complete their sweep of both series.

UConn (14-9, 5-7 conference) defeated Tulane (13-11, 5-7 conference) by a score of 3-1 in their last matchup in late September. Tulane is currently coming off a three-loss streak, but just under UConn in the American Athletic Conference standings.

The Green Wave are led on offense by Sarah Ray with 361 kills in the season at a 3.65 kills per set ratio, while Tea Juric has added 259 kills at an average of 2.82 kills per set. They currently have a .235 hitting percentage to rank sixth in the conference, as well as sixth in assists at 12.42 per set and fifth in kills with 13.37 per set. Justine Powers is the team’s assist leader with 990 on the season, averaging 9.8 per set.

Houston enters the game after losing in three sets previously to UConn. Sarah Afflerbaugh averages 2.72 kills per set to lead the team while Katie Krebs leads in assists averaging 4.23 per set. The only statistic they lead the American in is service aces, averaging 1.42 per set for a total of 119.

UConn looks set to start a win streak after their previous three-set win against Memphis. The Huskies rank first in the American for assists with 13.41 per set as well as kills with 14.36 per set. If their offensive players are able to hit well and someone is able to put in work off the bench, they look to have a good chance of sweeping their weekend games.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.