Women's Basketball: Huskies looking for more of the same in final tune-up against Pace

UConn sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson goes up for a layup in a preseason exhibition game against Indiana University (PA) at Gampel Pavilion. The Huskies won 111-39. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

After cruising to a 111-39 exhibition victory over IUP, the Huskies will have their second and final exhibition match this Sunday against Pace University at the XL Center. The last time these two teams played was in November of 2011 as UConn won 85-35 at the XL Center in an exhibition match.

The Huskies, who are on a 75-game winning streak and have won four straight national championships, will use this exhibition game against Pace as a final tune-up in what will be an interesting season to say the least. With the departure of Brenna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson to the WNBA, the Huskies go into this season with a lot of questions and an unfamiliar No.3 ranking in the preseason AP poll.

In the last exhibition match, it looked like a new trio was emerging as sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson, junior Gabby Williams and junior Kia Nurse led the way in every statistical category. Samuelson dropped 24 points while Williams had 22 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Nurse had 17 points as the three players were the fastest, most experienced and most athletic on the court.

Samuelson, who is perhaps their best scorer, is excited for the season up ahead as she believes the team is ready for the adversity they will face.

“It has been huge for all of us to step up and play a different role then we’ve been playing. It has been a lot of fun and I think that it is just going to keep getting better and it is going to be different every game,” Samuelson said.

While head coach Geno Auriemma has said that no one has stepped up as the No. 1 leader yet, the players seem to be handling this new season very well, as they are handling every game in stride.

The exhibition match against Pace will start at 1 p.m. as the Huskies will look to dominate again at home, where they have the longest current home win streak in the country, with 50 straight wins.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.