Everything you need to survive a UConn winter

Here are a couple essentials you’re definitely going to need if you plan on surviving when you get back for “spring” semester and if you don’t already have them, that’s what Santa is for. (Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us we can all look forward to the next holiday coming our way: Christmas! The best time of the year and, unfortunately for us Connecticut residents, the coldest, especially here in Storrs. Although this is my second to last column and my time at UConn is almost over, I definitely have some expertise to lend about how to survive the tragic UConn winters. For all you freshman out there, in case you didn’t already know, you moved to the tundra. Literally. Here are a couple essentials you’re definitely going to need if you plan on surviving when you get back for “spring” semester and if you don’t already have them, that’s what Santa is for.

A long (puffy) winter coat: Yes, they look kind of ridiculous, and I’ll admit I was also hesitant before I moved here to ever buy one of these things because they are a splurge but I honestly cannot express this enough, you NEED this. Your legs will freeze without it and those short “cute” coats do absolutely nothing to keep you warm. It might not be the most fashion forward purchase you’ve ever made but it’s definitely practical. Over my past four years here I’ve managed to accumulate three of these. I suggest choosing a color that isn’t black, and a brand that isn’t The North Face unless you want to be completely indistinguishable from every other girl on this campus who has the same exact coat as you.

Smartphone-friendly gloves: These are the absolute best if you’re like me and can’t go anywhere without your phone. Besides the fact that they allow you to text and use your phone on your long walks through campus, they keep your fingers nice and warm so you can actually function when you get to class. Fashion forward and practical! What’s better than that?

Bean boots/duck boots: This might just be me, and almost every other girl on campus, but everyone seems to have some variation of these shoes. Mainly because they’re not horrible to look at and they are more comfortable than Hunter Rain boots in my opinion. The best part of these is that you can choose to purchase them with or without shearling lining on the inside, which basically makes them a two in one! They protect against the rain and snow and keep your feet toasty and warm.

Scarves/hats: The best accessories for the winter months. These might be the only thing that sets you apart from everyone else and lets you add a little personality to your outfits during the winter! There are so many options from crocheted/knitted hats to circle scarves galore! You can never have too many in my opinion and these are the best investment since you can reuse them for seasons in the future!

UGGs: If you’re a guy, you probably hate these things. Even I, myself, have my own love/hate relationship with them but there’s a reason they continue to be my guilty pleasure in the winter and honestly it's because they are SO comfortable and warm. I personally would never pair them with a fancy outfit (if you do, keep doin’ you) but they go perfectly with leggings and a sweater and, honestly, who cares as long as you’re comfy and warm. In the end, that's all that really matters.

There you have it! After four years at UConn I can honestly say this the most valuable advice I have to offer any underclassmen. Winters at UConn are definitely one thing I won’t miss one bit.

Michelle Marquez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at michelle.marquez@uconn.edu.