Food drive asks students to be conscious of food availability

A food drive organized by a new student group is collecting donations today, Nov. 30, and Dec. 8. to benefit the Mansfield Soup Kitchen. (Angelina DeRosa/The Daily Campus)

A food drive organized by a new student group is collecting donations today, Nov. 30, and Dec. 8. to benefit the Mansfield Soup Kitchen.

UCONSCIOUS was organized in September 2016 by five students. After living on campus and eating in the dining hall, the students noticed the immense food waste in the dining halls. Their campaign encourages students to be conscious food consumers. The food drive will benefit those who do not have the access to food that college students have.

“I think this is important because some people don’t realize how fortunate they are to be able to go into a dining hall unlimited times every day and get a hot meal,” said Zachary Maddocks, an eighth-semester communication student. “Food isn’t abundant for everybody, and I think it’s important to raise awareness for the less fortunate.”

Maddocks was one of the food drive organizers. He hopes to raise about $100 and collect 50 food items to donate to the soup kitchen.

“Even if we don’t reach the numbers I am aiming for, I hope the volunteers and employees at the Mansfield Soup Kitchen are thankful for what we did manage to collect,” Maddocks said.

The group will be collecting food and donations in the Student Union from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. both days. Nonperishable food items and donations will be collected. Campaign bracelets will also be sold. The group accepts cash and Venmo.

“We hope to share knowledge regarding the hunger crisis that exists within Connecticut,” the founding members said. “We hope that this influx of knowledge will urge students to be mindful of food waste.”

Sarah Rivard, a fifth-semester communication major, is another organizer who tries to educate people about what UCONSCIOUS is.

“Our campaign is showing the public that any little bit helps out others,” Rivard said. “The hunger issue in the United States is high and we hope to do what we can to help make a difference and help others want to make a difference as well.”

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.