Lazy Boy on Campus: Relaxing before exams

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

It may not be easy to relax while studying for exams, but there's always a way to be a little lazy. Even during finals week. (Alberto G./Flickr Creative Commons)

It’s that time of year again. Thanksgiving break is over. Our last break until exams are over. So what happens now? How do you manage to be lazy while also studying for exams? Is it even possible to do? And more importantly, is it even realistic to be lazy while studying? Being lazy sometimes forces people to relax too much and not study hard enough. Luckily today I can give you three major ways to be lazy during these next two weeks.  

The first one is very simple and all it requires is a deck of cards. A deck of cards is something that you can carry along with you anywhere, even to the library. Can you see where I’m going with this? Yes, it is exactly what you think: you can create an underground poker ring in the basement of the library in order to destress and be a little lazy during your studying. It’s also a great way to raise some money. After all, the house always wins, right? But all jokes aside, the real thing you can do is play a quiet came of cards with a Study Buddy. You obviously can’t do this all the time while studying, but it is definitely a great way to pass the time. You could make some goals for yourself; like play a game every time you finish reviewing a chapter or finish a problem set. I also highly recommend playing blackjack. It’s very easy to play and isn’t too loud. You can always communicate by writing or even just talking in hushed voices. It is a very easy way to take a break, even when you are working very hard.

The second option is a little bit different but just as fun. This one only requires a football. It is definitely what you think it is. For me, a game of catch is all I need to clear my head and relax a little bit even when things get rough. Yesterday, I found myself freaking out about all of the work that I had ahead of me these next few weeks. It seemed that it would be almost impossible for me to find a way to relax and to be a lazy for a little bit. Luckily, I was at The Daily Campus when I had the mini-internal breakdown. We happen to have three footballs in the office. Throwing them around is the perfect way to relax and be a little lazy. Sure throwing a football is an “active” activity, but it is also super relaxing. Throwing a football creates a fun rhythm that makes everything seem at ease. If football throwing isn’t enough, then get a few friends together to create a game of flag, touch or tackle football. I just highly recommend that you avoid playing in the library. The bookcases might get in the way of your ability to throw.

The third method is a little unique. It doesn’t involve any items, like a deck of cards or a football, but instead a simple concept. I’m sure that many of you have heard about Spring Weekend. For those of you who are freshmen, transfers or have been living under a rock for the past few years, Spring Weekend is the last weekend before classes end in the spring semester. It represents the last time that students can really party, cut lose or even relax ahead of exams. There is no real reason to have a huge party or anything close to the size of a Spring Weekend party, but for many of us a party is a good way to relax, whether in the fall or the spring.

So maybe get a few friends together and relax. Chill out. Throw a football, play some cards and maybe watch some movies. This is a great way to relax and prepare for finals. It can be your last hurrah before heading off to finals and into winter break. That’s what I’ll be doing.

It’s not too late to still be lazy. It’s what gets us through everything. So make sure that you take the time to be a little lazy while studying. It will make everything better.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.