Sen. Mae Flexer endorsed by President Obama for reelection

State Senator Mae Flexer speaks during a press conference about open source textbooks at the UConn Bookstore on September 6, 2016. Flexer led the passage of an innovation economy law this year, which includes the creation of “Innovation Places." (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

State Sen. Mae Flexer, D-29, has been endorsed for reelection by President Barack Obama according to a Nov. 4 press release by her campaign.

“I’m asking you to support Mae Flexer. This election isn’t just about defeating extreme Republican candidates, it’s also about electing strong Democrats, like Mae Flexer, who will fight to defend the progress we’ve made over the past eight years. Our children need us to keep working to make this country stronger, fairer, safer and cleaner. Mae Flexer will do just that,” Obama said according to the press release. “I urge you to get to the polls to vote for the candidate who has my back and yours, Mae Flexer.”

Obama is expected to endorse about 150 candidates for state senate leading up to election day on Nov. 8 as part of an effort to increase voter turnout down the ballot, according to Politico.

Flexer, who has worked with the White House on issues surrounding veterans, domestic abuse, sexual assault and paid family and medical leave, said having Obama speak on the importance of her campaign was an incredible honor.

“I’m just deeply honored that the president has chosen to support me in my reelection campaign,” Flexer said. “The fact that he’s only doing it in about 150 elections throughout the country and he’s choosing to get involved in this campaign is a pretty strong statement.”

With just four days remaining until election day, Flexer said her campaign is currently focused on getting out the vote.

“We want as many people to vote as possible and the president’s endorsement is an effort to get people to look at all the choices they have next Tuesday,” Flexer said.

Carolyn Fiddler, communications director for the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee, told Politico that many state legislature races across the country could be decided by 500 votes or less.

“Given where this campaign has gone from the national level on down, this is going to be a really good way to push a lot of these folks over the line,” Fiddler told Politico.

Kimberly Armstrong is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.armstrong@uconn.edu.