Field Hockey: Huskies win fifth-straight Big East Championship

The Huskies take on QU at the Sherman Complex and pull off another win with a score of 5-1. Goals scored by Amanda Collins, Ann Middendorf, Svea Boker, and Barbara van den Hoogen (2). (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

For the 12th time since 2000 and the fifth consecutive season, the No. 4 UConn field hockey team has taken the Big East championship.

The Huskies (20-1, 7-1 Big East) were able to stave off a relentless attack from Liberty University for the Big East title.

Senior Anna Middendorf, junior Charlotte Veitner and sophomore Amanda Collins all found the back of the net for the Huskies in the 3-2 victory. UConn had an 18-8 shot advantage over Liberty, including a 13-4 shots on goal advantage.

Veitner got the scoring started just 10 minutes into the contest, Middendorf followed suit two minutes later off a penalty corner, and the Huskies took a 2-0 lead. The two teams would trade two more goals as the Huskies went into the half with a commanding 3-1 lead.

The Liberty Flames found the back of the net just four minutes into the second half, but that would be the only goal of the half, as the Huskies would hold on. Redshirt junior goalie Nina Klein made two stops in the game, including a critical diving save late in the second half.

Including Big East regular season titles, head coach Nancy Stevens has won 32 Big East titles in 27 seasons at the helm. With the win, the Huskies gain an automatic bid into the national tournament. This year’s appearance will be the 28th in program history.  

The NCAA released the national field hockey tournament bracket late Sunday night. UConn will travel up to Coyne Field in Syracuse, NY, to take on the Boston College Eagles (10-9) on Saturday, November 12th.

The two teams met once this season. A game at Boston College on October 30th, the Huskies escaped with a 4-3 overtime win.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.