In with the new and out with the old: November Netflix shows and movies

According to Statista, Netflix has 47.5 million subscribers as of the third quarter of 2016.  This number has nearly doubled since 2011. (Global Panorama/Flickr Creative Commons)

As we all know, Netflix is an essential part of college living. How else would we be able to procrastinate on our homework? According to Statista, Netflix has 47.5 million subscribers as of the third quarter of 2016. Amazingly, this number has nearly doubled since 2011. Even people who don’t have a subscription know about it. Netflix has truly become a staple of our generation.

Every month, entire seasons of shows and different movies are added to Netflix. Unfortunately, with the new additions there are also many shows that leave. Here is a list of a few shows and movies to make a note of that you definitely want to see before they’re gone from Netflix for good.

1) “Legally Blonde” and “Legally Blonde 2”: These movies, based on the story of a girl who wants to become a lawyer, are classics and basically built around blonde jokes. They’re great comedy movies for when you’re stressed out and could use a good laugh.

2) “Escape to Witch Mountain”: This is a fantasy/drama movie about two orphaned siblings with amazing psychic powers. Their powers put them in danger when they capture the attention of a millionaire who wants to exploit their powers for financial gain. If you haven’t seen this movie, it’s definitely one to check out.

3) “Power Puff Girls” (seasons one-six): If you’re feeling nostalgic about back when Cartoon Network had good shows for kids, this is where to go. The show follows three girls with powers who save their town from evil.

4) “The Addams Family”: This is a great movie if you appreciate an entertaining combination of horror and comedy. It is full of innuendos and will without a doubt make you laugh. “The Addams Family” follows a peculiar family with an eccentric lifestyle that becomes threatened when a mother and son conspire to steal the family fortune.

On a lighter note, some new shows and movies to look for:

1) “The Jungle Book” (2016): This movie is a recent recreation of the Walt Disney animation of our childhood. It has a great twist at the end and contains realistic versions of Mowgli and the jungle animals.

2) “The Crown”: This is a Netflix original series that premiered on November 4th. It is an interesting biographical story about the reign of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.

3) “The 100” (season 3): This show is about what happens after a nuclear Armageddon destroys civilization on Earth, and the only survivors are those on the 12 international space stations in orbit at the time. It is definitely a unique and action-oriented watch.

4) “Lovesick” (season 2): Here is another Netflix original that was renewed for season 2, which will consist of eight new episodes. It is a delightful romance show.

Cynthia Reinert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at cynthia.reinert@uconn.edu.