Upcoming Veterans Day ceremony to honor fallen veterans

The University of Connecticut’s Veterans Day Ceremony will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 11 on the Great Lawn at 11:20 a.m. at the Ultimate Sacrifice Memorial.  There will be a reception immediately following the ceremony in the Wilbur Cross North Reading Room.  For more information about the Veterans Day Ceremony contact the Veterans Affairs and Military Programs in Arjona 345. (Branson Convention and Visitors Bureau/Flickr Creative Commons)

The University of Connecticut’s Veterans Day Ceremony will be held on Nov. 11 to honor UConn veterans who have served in the United States armed forces.

All are invited to attend the ceremony and reception. The ceremony will be held on the Great Lawn at 11:20 a.m. at the Ultimate Sacrifice Memorial. There will be a reception immediately following the ceremony in the Wilbur Cross North Reading Room.

In case of rain, the ceremony will be held in the Wilbur Cross North Reading Room.   

At the ceremony, members of the reserve Officers’ Training Corps will read the roll of honor, which hangs in the Alumni Center and lists the alumni who have been lost in war. The Master of Ceremonies will be the Veteran Student Organization Vice President, Ben Nobles. The UConn Police Department will be providing the color guard for the flag. Veterans will place a wreath at the memorial.

The keynote speaker will be Connecticut National Guard Colonel Francis Evon, a 1989 UConn and ROTC graduate. Evon is currently Assistant Adjunct General of the Connecticut National Guard. The UConn group, Notes Over Storrs, will play the National Anthem.

Nobles, a fifth-semester business management student and Air Force veteran, said that he is excited to lead the ceremony, which is one of his first opportunities to speak in front of veterans.

“The spirit of Veterans Day has been set forth to honor veterans, both those who have passed and those who are still living,” Nobles said. “If we as a county decide to send our people overseas and fight for our country, than it is also our responsibility to fight for and honor those who don’t make it back.”

On the same day, a nonprofit organization called “Til Duty is Done,” will host an all-day event for veterans at Mohegan Sun. The event will feature a job fair, supportive services, professional sessions, networking and concerts. Registration and tickets can be found at vetsrock.info.

For more information about the Veterans Day Ceremony contact the Veterans Affairs and Military Programs in Arjona 345.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.