Women's Hockey: Huskies look to continue on winning path

UConn's Justine Fredette (14) skates around a Penn State defender in a game on Saturday Oct. 22 at the Freitas Ice Forum. The Huskies won 4-2. (Ruohan Li/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s ice hockey team will play its fourth away game of the season against non-conference rival Brown University on Nov. 8 in hopes to continue their winning streak.

The matchup between the Bears (3-3) and Huskies (6-4-1) is set for 6 p.m.at Mehan Auditorium in Providence, Rhode Island.

Over the weekend, the Huskies won against Hockey East opponents Merrimack (7-1) and then had a 2-1 win over Maine. The wins put UConn at 2-2 in conference play.

UConn comes from a season high of seven goals scored against Merrimack, with seven different players scoring.

On Sunday, Junior Lindsay Roethke scored her first career goal in overtime to give UConn the edge over Maine.

The Bears had a 1-1 weekend in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference, where they defeated Union 3-1 and lost 4-1 to Rensselaer.

The goal for the bears in the defeat against Rensselaer was scored by junior Sam Donovan on power play assisted by freshman Ally Rempe and sophomore Leah Olson.

For the Bears, Rempe (eight goals, one assist), Donovan (six goals, two assists) and sophomore Bridget Carey (two goals, six assists) will be Brown’s threats during the game.

The Huskies will continue to rely on the trio of junior Theresa Knutson (six goals, six assists), sophomore Leah Lum (seven goals, three assists) and freshman Brianna Colangelo (two goals, seven assists).

On top of their offensive leaders, junior goaltender Annie Belanger will be key for the match.

Coach Chris Mackenzie has praised Belanger’s performance over the season.

“She’s played great all year and she continues to blossom into an elite goalie,” Mackenzie said. “I’m very proud of her.”

Belanger had 50 saves over the weekend and allowed two goals during the two matches.

The series between these two times tips in favor of UConn 5-3-3. Last time they met was on Nov. 4, 2014, where UConn beat Brown 4-2 at the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Rink.

Knutson and junior Justine Fredette scored in that game while Belanger was in goal.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu.