Women’s Hockey: team scored two Hockey East wins this weekend

UConn's Leah Lum (#7) helped lead the Huskies to two victories this week against Merrimack and University of New Hampshire. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s hockey played two big games this weekend, and got their first Hockey East wins of the season. The first game took place Saturday in North Andover, Massachusetts against Merrimack. The Huskies dominated from start to finish and ended the game winning 7-1.

Merrimack scored first in the period after five minutes of evenly matched play, but would fail to score again. Leona Sim scored first for UConn in the eighth minute.

UConn would then score three more goals in the second period, in the fourth, 12th and 19th minutes. These goals came from the combined efforts of Theresa Knutson, Madison Badeau and Leah Lum, respectively.

UConn came out firing again in the third, scoring their fifth goal just 52 seconds into play. The goal came off the stick of Kelly Harris. Leah Lum then scored her second goal of the game on a power play in the eighth minute of the third period. Finally, to top off the dominant performance, Briana Colangelo scored in the fifteenth for UConn’s seventh goal of the game. It was UConn’s most impressive offensive performance of the season. Overall, UConn took six more shots than Merrimack did.

There was a large amount of penalties, just as have been occurring in other games this season. UConn committed five, while Merrimack committed seven. Of the 12 total penalties, seven were stick infractions. UConn goalkeeper Annie Belanger had another impressive night, blocking 21 shots as the team combined for their first Hockey East win.

The second game of the weekend took the Huskies to New Hampshire on Sunday where they faced off against another Hockey East team, the University of New Hampshire.

This game was much closer throughout. UConn took fewer shots and won fewer faceoffs, but still managed to score first in the second period on a Leah Lum power-play goal. UNH responded in the third period on a goal from Jonna Curtis to tie it. Regulation ended 1-1 and the game entered a five minute sudden death period.

In the end, UConn would come up the winners as Lindsay Roethke scored with 35 seconds left in the period. Belanger again was impressive, saving 31 shots in the 2-1 victory over UNH.

“Anytime we can earn conference points we are happy. We did a great job this weekend of sticking with our game plan and battling through some adversity,” head coach Chris Mackenzie said on the weekend wins.

UConn women’s hockey plays again Tuesday night at Brown University.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.