Women’s Soccer: Huskies to host UAlbany in first round of NCAA tournament

The UConn women's soccer team defeated SMU 1-0 on Sunday, November 6, at Marrone Stadium. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team will host the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 6 p.m.

The Huskies will take on the University at Albany, who finished their season 11-7-1 and 6-1-1 in conference play. They won the American East league regular season title for the first time in program history, and went on to win the American East title for the second year in a row with a 2-1 victory over Hartford.

This will be UAlbany’s second-straight trip to the NCAA tournament. Their top performer, redshirt junior Kiana Ruger, has scored six goals this season, in addition to three assists for a total of 15 points.

UConn shared similar success thus far. With an overall record of 18-2-1 and a conference record of 8-0-1, they won the American Athletic Conference regular season title and the conference title with a 1-0 victory over SMU in the finals.

The Huskies will appear in the NCAA tournament for a third consecutive year. Two years ago, they were eliminated by Penn State in the second round, and last year they were eliminated by Rutgers in the Sweet Sixteen.

UConn will be fueled by seniors Stephanie Ribeiro and Rachel Hill. Ribeiro is tied for first in the nation in total goals scored with 20, in addition to being tied for second in assists with 12. Hill is a staple of the Husky offense with 15 goals on the season, including the lone goal in the conference finals. She is three goals away from tying UConn’s record for total career goals (63).

The winner of UConn/UAlbany will play the winner of South Alabama/No. 4 seeded Auburn in the second round.

Stephanie Sheehan is the associate managing editor for The Daily Campus, covering men’s basketball. She can be reached via email at stephanie.sheehan@uconn.edu. She tweets @steph_sheehan.