Women's Volleyball: team goes 1-1 on the road against Tulane and Houston

After a 5 game losing streak the Volleyball team defeats Memphis 3-0 on Sunday, Oct. 30,2016. The game was close, especially during the second set 27-25. Their next match is on Friday at Tulane. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

UConn women’s volleyball team went 1-1 this weekend. They fell to Tulane in four sets in New Orleans on Friday and beat Houston 3-1 in Houston on Sunday.

The Huskies (15-10, 6-8 American) fell to the Green Wave (14-12, 6-8 American) in four sets, but they were able to keep all of the sets close. Unfortunately, they couldn’t finish enough sets to win the game. In the fourth, and final set, the Huskies trailed by as many as five points until they made a comeback to cut the lead down to one. It looked like they might have a chance at winning the set, but Tulane went onto a 5-1 run to end the set and ultimately the match. With the loss the Huskies fall to 6-5 on the road.

Even though the Huskies lost this match, it was the 19th time this season that the Huskies have recorded more kills than their opponents. They had 63 to Tulane’s 55, including 18 from redshirt freshman Kayla Williams. Williams also had 12 digs to record one of the two Husky double-doubles, the other coming from sophomore Iman McGary who had 14 kills and 14 digs. Junior Danielle Cabel had a major contribution with 12 kill and a hitting percentage of .500.

Tulane might have been out killed by the Huskies, but they had the slight edge in hitting percentage, 63 percent to 61 percent. This can be attributed to the play of junior right-side hitter Sarah Ray who led the team with 14 kills and had 10 digs to record a double-double. Senior Sarah Strasner had 10 kills with a .476 hitting percentage.

On Sunday, UConn was looking to avenge their defeat to Tulane on Friday against Houston and they were able to dispatch the Cougars (5-20, 0-14 American) in four sets. Just like in the Tulane game, the Huskies recorded more kills than their opponent for the 20th time this season, but this time they ended up with the win. Williams had another stellar game offensive as she led the match with 20 kills and tied freshman Kate Karbo with 18 digs. It was Williams 14th double-double of the season, while junior Danielle Cabel added 11 kills.

Part of UConn’s dominance in this game was that it was a one-sided affair from the start. The Huskies were able to keep the Cougars to a hitting percentage of .191. However, there were some impressive individual performances from the Cougars. Junior Keandre McCardell recorded her sixth double-double of the season with 19-assists and 14-digs. Freshman Megan Duncan and junior Sarah Afflerbaugh both recorded double digit kills, 15 and 10 respectively. Sophomore Katie Krebs contributed 18 assists.

The Huskies play East Carolina on Friday at 2 P.M. at Gampel Pavilion.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.