From the Trump Tower to the White House

In this Oct. 25, 1996 file photo, real estate magnate Donald Trump poses for a photo in his office in Manhattan borough of New York. (AP Photo/Anders Krusberg)

Donald J. Trump is the President-elect of the United States of America.

Trump was able to win states previously predicted to go to Clinton, such as Michigan. There is a possibility that Clinton wins the popular vote over Trump once every vote is counted. Trump also won such battleground states as North Carolina, Ohio and Florida. Results were pored over until late into the night and early into the morning without the Clinton campaign conceding, due to absentee ballots and precincts that had yet to report.

Some students seemed to be shocked and upset about the election results, although Trump supporters were of course pleased by the outcome. There were Immigrant Youth Watches hosted in Danbury, CT and on the Storrs campus meant to demonstrate their “resilience and commitment to continue fighting for our community, no matter who enters office.” Still other students expressed hope for the future despite disappointment with the election’s conclusion.

Megan Handau, UConn College Democrats President: "I don't think I can put my thoughts on the results into words. I want to take this space to apologize to all those who Donald Trump and the Republican Party has threatened. I am so sorry that the party I support could not win this for you. I am so sorry that we are in this position. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I will be out as many seconds of as many days as I can to make sure the next four years don't determine the next one hundred… It gives me solace that candidates like Mae Flexer and Gregg Haddad, as well as Joe Courtney and Richard Blumenthal have retained their seats. It is on them, it is on us to steer the future of this country as much as we possibly can. Complacency is not an option."

Jared Quigley, fifth-semester political science major: “Tonight’s election was a tragedy for the post-war order. Hillary represented staying within the traditional bounds – protecting our allies, staying in NATO and being for free trade, while Trump represented isolationism and fear. It is a tragedy to see such a qualified woman as Hillary Clinton lose to such a clown of a man as Donald Trump.”

Marc Lupinacci, fifth-semester finance major: “I am absolutely shocked.…no one thought about the people that Trump was adding back into the voting polls, people who never voted or stopped and came back in just to vote in this election…needless to say I am ecstatic with how things are turning out in the election.”

Eric Cruz López, immigrant youth leader and fifth-semester student: “I don't think I have to explain why I hate Trump because by this point it should be obvious why immigrants shouldn't support him. I hope we take this election as something that sparks action in the student body to not only focus on national elections but also local elections and local work which will strongly affect my community and communities of color.”

Elizabeth Charash is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at elizabeth.charash@uconn.edu.