Confessions of a Fashionista: Hillary Clinton, fashion icon

President Barack Obama waves on stage with Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton during a rally at Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Monday, Nov. 7, 2016. (Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP Photo)

Out of all the fashion icons out there, I bet you didn’t think that I would choose Hillary Clinton as a top contender. On the spectrum that is ‘style’ I guess she isn’t the first person that comes to mind, but everyone must admit she is a fashionista in her own right. Hillary is a trailblazer in a man's world and we’re all just along for the ride. Her color scheme might consist of red, white and blue the majority of her time on camera, but that doesn’t make her any less of a risk-taker. Every single debate or rally ensemble is meticulously thought-out and there’s a reason behind every outfit she chooses. We dress for ourselves but, as a candidate for the presidency, she dresses for the entire country to judge and criticize, especially since she’s a woman.

Originally I planned to go through all of Hillary’s most iconic outfits but when doing some research I found that her wardrobe mainly consists of one thing: pantsuits. Not everyone can pull something this masculine off every single day. When looking back at her most iconic looks, she always manages to wear it so gracefully we almost forget that it's very uncommon for a woman to wear one type of outfit consistently.

Most women tend to stray from the pantsuit because it’s an outfit dominated by men. Historically women wore dresses until the late 20’s and early 30’s when it started to become more socially acceptable for women to wear the same styles as men. Hillary has managed to make it the staple in her wardrobe and rock it every single time.

Normally I wouldn’t give so much thought to the outfits that a woman wears simply in contrast to a man, because we really don’t talk about what the male candidates are wearing. Think about it, have you ever seen a story on a male presidential candidate in regards to fashion? The only thing men really have to worry about when dressing themselves for a political speech is whether or not to wear a red or blue tie. Not that difficult. Women are scrutinized for everything, if your outfit is too scandalous, or if it's too boring. Often times no one ends up satisfied because, realistically, you never win. This is one thing that we can most definitely credit Hillary with; she always manages to take risks that pay off.

For example: The red pantsuit she wore in the first presidential debate, this outfit was killer. It set her apart from Trump from the moment she walked on stage. The color red is often associated with intensity and strength and this is exactly what it said for her. It reminded us that she is a risk-taker and most of the time it pays off. Another iconic outfit, in my opinion, was the all white pantsuit she wore in the final debate. It reminded me of the “Scandal” character Olivia Pope who is always referencing her “white hat” and doing what’s best for the people. Her white pantsuit added a classy vibe to her presence on stage.

No matter who won the election, it’s safe to say that Hillary will always have the class and grace of a champion. Her sense of style is absolutely iconic and one that no one will ever forget, especially as our first female party nominee, it's also one of the many reasons #imwithher.

Michelle Marquez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at michelle.marquez@uconn.edu.